History of Trinity UCC
Trinity’s history is closely tied to the history of the German Reformed Church in America, and with American history in Eastern Pennsylvania. Our first preacher was Rev. John Philip Boehm, the founder of the Reformed Church in America, who traveled to Pottstown to form a German Reformed Congregation. Our original church lot was a gift by Pottstown founder, John Potts in 1769.
Here are some highlights from history:
1748 First sermon preached, communion served, by Rev. John Philip Boehm
1769 First log church built (Hanover and Walnut Streets) German Evangelical and German Reformed congregations shared this building
1796 Old Red Brick Church built at Hanover and Chestnut. Both congregations continued to share the building.
1848 The Reformed congregation began discussing the building of a separate church to house an increasing membership.
1861 First Sunday School established.
1868 Trinity Reformed Church dedicated, November 19-20
1926 Trinity struck by lightning. Church burned to the ground.
1928 Dedication of reconstructed church. 1934 Reformed and Evangelical denominations merge.
1948 Merger of Evangelical and Reformed denomination with the Congregations Christian denomination begun
1957 Formation of the United Church of Christ.
1968 Trinity joins the Pottstown Cluster of Churches
1982 Trinity begins serving community meals to anyone hungry for food or fellowship.
1989 Extensive renovation of the sanctuary
1996 Extensive renovations of the main floor.
2000 Trinity calls Co-Pastors Rev. Lisa Martin and Rev. Jim Hilker. Rev. Martin is the first fully called female minister in Trinity’s history.
2003 A new approach to Sunday School – Faith Odyssey – adopted based upon the workshop rotation model.
Pastors serving Trinity Reformed UCC
1769-1784 Rev. John Philip Leydich
1787-1788 Rev. Paul Peter Pernisus
1791-1799 Rev. Frederick Daellicker
1799-1838 Rev. Lebrecht Frederich Herman
1838-1848 Rev. Lewis C. Herman
1848-1863 Rev. Nero S. Strassburger
1863-1871 Rev. Henry Dubbs
1871-1912 Rev. L. Kryder Evans
1912-1943 Rev. J. Hamilton Smith
1943-1974 Dr. John B. Frantz
1974-1989 Rev. G. Richard Ott
1990-1998 Rev. Jon R. Coddington
2000-2015 Rev. Lisa Martin and Rev. Jim Hilker, Co-pastors
2016-present Rev. William Pifer-Foote, Interim Pastor
Interested in doing historical research for family genealogies? Copies of all our records are now part of the Pottstown Historical Society. They can be reached at 568 High Street, Pottstown, PA 19464 (610) 970-7355.